A Travellerspoint blog

Mississippi River Trip Day 13..Vicksburg, MS to New Orleans

overcast 75 °F

We finally could travel again as Tropical Storm Lee had passed to the north. We left Vicksburg and drove south towards New Orleans at around 10am. Our first stop was in Port Gibson, MS to see the First Presbyterian Church. It has a unique feature. There is not a cross on the top of the steeple. There is a hand with a finger pointing upward! The church was built in 1859 and the original hand on the top of the steeple was carved wood. The chandeliers inside the church are from the Robert E. Lee a late 1800's race boat. We saw a lot of tree limbs down outside the church and throughout the area. I believe this was due to Tropical Storm Lee.

Next we decided to take the Natchez Trace Parkway instead of Route 61 for a while. It is a more scenic route and was once a path for traders to take as they went back up north. The traders came down here on the Mississippi on flat boats to trade furs and other material. They could not bring these boats back north because of the currents. They had to walk back up north.

We decided to stop at Mount Locust. Mount Locust is one of the oldest buildings in the state of Mississippi. It was built in 1780 and served as a plantation and an Inn. When we arrived they told us they had lost power from the storm. Since it was day time, we didn't need lights to tour the house. It was a great place and the gentlemen at the house gave us some great history during our 1/2hr stay. One of the families that owned the plantation had 11 children. 10 boys and 1 girl. The 10 boys had to sleep in one room while the girl got her own room. The boys had a fireplace and the girl did not. However, she had a featherbed while the boys beds were filled with corn husks.

We ended up leaving Mount Locust and then stopped at the Emerald Mound soon after. The Emerald Mound is the second largest mound in the United States. The largest is in Illinois. This mound was started around 1250 according to historians. It was used as a Native American Ceremonial Center. We were able to get great pictures here. Very cool place.

We finally made it to Louisiana after leaving the Mound. We were so excited and we were looking forward to seeing some Plantations. Unfortunately the first two we stopped at were closed and had the gate up blocking the road. We were able to get some nice pictures at the front gate of one of them. We finally were able to get to a nice plantation named Rosedown in St. Francisville. The house was built in 1835 and has beautiful gardens. The trees were very old elegant oaks with spanish moss hanging off of them. We were able to tour the gardens and see the house and outbuldings. We also got to sit on the front porch of the house in rockers and look out over the property. This was so peaceful and I was thinking sitting there, "now this is living!"

After our tour of Rosedown, we made a quick trip to LSU in Baton Rogue. We were going right through that area anyway and I wanted to see the football stadium. We were able to get a few good pictures and we got to see the LSU Tiger there. He was sleeping when we were there. After LSU, we decided to try and get to New Orleans as fast as we could. We arrived around 6:30pm to the Marriott downtown on the corner of the French Quarter. We were able to go out to a very nice dinner at a Creole Restaurant and then walked to Jackson Square where we took a carriage ride for about an hour throughout the French Quarter. It was a nice end to a long day..

Tomorrow we will be taking a Katrina Tour in the morning.


Posted by mrcatphish 22:18 Archived in USA

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint